NIPSCO: Keep meters clear of snow and ice

Contributed By:The 411 News

Winter weather may create potential safety hazards

As cold temperatures continue, NIPSCO is reminding customers to keep their electric and natural gas meters free of snow and ice. Although meters are designed to withstand winter weather conditions, heavy or hard-packed snow and ice, icicles falling from building eaves, or water dripping from a roof and freezing on the meter could create potential safety hazards

Use your hands or a broom instead of a shovel to avoid potential damage to the meter and the piping connected to it. Never kick or hit your electric or gas meter or its piping with a hammer to break away built-up snow or ice.

In case of no heat or low gas pressure to gas appliances, call NIPSCO at 1-800-464-7726 for assistance

Make sure your electric and gas meters are visible at all times and accessible for maintenance by NIPSCO personnel and, if necessary, emergency responders. Carbon monoxide detectors should be located on every level of your home, as well as outside and inside all sleeping areas. Test them monthly and replace the batteries at least twice a year

If you smell the odor of natural gas (similar to rotten eggs), leave the area immediately and call 911 and NIPSCO at 1-800-464-7726 from a nearby safe location. Snow and ice should be cleared around fresh air and exhaust vents to prevent equipment malfunction and buildup of toxic fumes and carbon monoxide. Customers are urged to use caution when clearing snow off flat roofs, particularly in commercial or industrial buildings. There may be rooftop heating or cooling equipment, as well as electric or fuel lines on the roof, which may not be easily visible under small amounts of snow cover.

For more information, visit NIPSCO.com/StaySafe.

Story Posted:02/13/2018

» Press Release Homepage


Add Comment

Name (Requierd)  
Comment (Required)  



 
View Comments